Published: 10:31 EDT, September 17, 2023 | Updated: 10:47 EDT, September 17, 2023
Drew Barrymore sensationally paused the premiere of her show until the end of the writers’ strike after facing intense criticism online.
The 48-year-old had to humbly apologize on camera for continuing her CBS talk show “The Drew Barrymore Show” while her three union writers went on strike – but she still refused to stop production.
Barrymore had planned to return to the screen on September 18, with filming for the fourth season of her show taking place earlier this week. She was subsequently called out for her behavior and lack of solidarity with the Writers Guild Of America (WGA).
Reflecting on her steadfast decision, she wrote on Instagram on Sunday: “I have listened to everyone and am making the decision to pause the premiere of the show until the strike is over.”
“I don’t have the words to sincerely apologize to everyone I hurt and of course to our incredible team who work on the show and made it what it is today.”
“We have really tried to find the way forward.” And I really hope for a solution for the entire industry soon.”
Drew Barrymore apologized for resuming her talk show without her three unionized writers amid the ongoing writers’ strike
The Instagram walkback comes after she said in a video on Friday: “I wanted to make a decision so it wasn’t a PR-protected situation and I would just take full responsibility for my actions.”
“I don’t think there’s anything I can do or say at this moment to make everything right,” she said through tears.
“I fully accept that. I completely understand that. There are so many reasons why this is so complex and I just want everyone to know that my intentions have never been more capable of upsetting or hurting me.
“That’s not who I am.” I’ve been through so many ups and downs in my life and this is one of them. I deeply apologize to the authors. I deeply apologize to the unions.’
She added: “It’s the big question of why – why am I doing this?”
“Well, I certainly couldn’t have expected this kind of attention, and we’re not going to break any rules and stick to them.” I wanted to do this because like I said, this is bigger than me and other people’s jobs are at stake .”
The WGA criticized its decision to restart the show during the strike.
A union spokesman claimed that The Drew Barrymore Show was a strike show, prompting union members to demonstrate outside their studios in New York City on Monday and Tuesday.
“It has not been broadcast since the strike began on May 2, but has now (unfortunately) decided to return without its authors,” the spokesperson said in the statement.
Drew speaks on his knees with trans influencer Dylan Mulvaney on The Drew Barrymore Show
“The Guild has and will continue to picket any striking show whose production continues for the duration of the strike.”
Actors appearing as guests when “Drew Barrymore” returns for its fourth season must abide by the Screen Actors Guild American – Federation of Television And Radio Artists (SAG-AFTRA) strike rules. This also means that the canceled work is not discussed or promoted.
Cristina Kinon, one of the co-head writers of The Drew Barrymore Show, which is on strike, weighed in on the issue.
She was diplomatic about the situation, but argued that Barrymore could have done more to help television industry workers affected by the strikes than simply restarting the broadcast, and Kinon said a return to the air would end the strike just “extend”.
“I personally understand that everyone has to make the best decision for themselves,” Kinon said cautiously.
“I know this show has a crew of hundreds of people who need to be paid, and I understand the perspective of wanting to protect your cast, your crew and your staff.”