British newlywed stung by world’s most venomous fish in Mauritius; desperate for cure 2 months since

Spread the love



Representative Image

Photo : iStock

London: A newlywed couple endured a ‘ honeymoon from hell’ after the wife got stung by a fish that is considered to be among the world’s most venomous. The victim has alleged that she was wrongly told that she did not need to take precautionary measures when stepping into the water. The incident took place early this year in September, however, there is still no cure in sight. According to a report in the Mirror, newlyweds Amy Thomson (27) and Callum Thomson (37) were enjoying their two-week honeymoon in September, in the idyllic Mauritius when disaster struck during a snorkeling trip.Amy has said that when she put on her sea shoes, she recalled being assured that there was nothing dangerous in the waters below and would not need them. However, the instant she dipped into the water without her footwear, she was stung by a stone fish – one of the world’s most venomous fish.Though she remained on the trip for another hour, Amy said she experienced the most “intense” pain she has ever felt in her life, and ended up visiting the hotel doctor. She was then rushed to the hospital, where she spent the night. Two months since the incident, Amy, from Lymington, Hampshire, is still searching for a cure for her pain.

Recalling the moment Amy said, “Through our holiday rep, we picked a speedboat trip where they take you to all the differing snorkel stops.

“We were towards the end of it and there was a BBQ on the beach. We were all on the beach and I was between courses and I was quite hot so I wanted to go in for a swim. “I literally went to put my sea shoes on and the guy who was organising the trip said ‘no no no you don’t need those here.’ It was all sand so I listened to him and went in.”

Amy said she realised “straight away” something had happened but she thought it was coral, “I came straight back to the shore, when I was at the shore that is when I honestly have never had that much pain in my life.

“I looked at my foot and it had already doubled in size, it was all swollen, I looked underneath my foot and it had gone all blue and white. I sat down at the dinner table and I was like ‘no this isn’t right’.” reported the Mirror.

She added that as well as being put on a drip and being given morphine, she “stayed over in the hospital that night where I received anti-venom for the sting, I had fluids, morphine and later that night I had an incision down my foot where they squeezed the venom out.”

Upon returning to the UK the pain started to get worse. During their flight back home, the 27-year-old said, “On the flight home my foot blew up like a balloon and I am still suffering now.

“I have a hospital appointment on Thursday because my toe won’t stop weeping and I have been on antibiotics since I have been home.”

She added that she is desperate for a cure, “There is still no solution for it, I feel really down from it all because I am still suffering.



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *